May 8, 2020
DISCOVERY SEA KAYAKS IS COMMITTED TO KEEPING STAFF AND GUESTS HEALTHY AND SAFE.
Following current restrictions and precautions put in place by Washington State, the CDC, and the Federal Government, we have suspended all tours until further notice. We feel positive about the potential to be up and operating this summer and look forward to the return of visitors to San Juan Island.
Once operations resume, we will continue to follow all safety and best practice guidelines put out by the government and health organizations. We want to ensure that our guests and staff will feel safe when joining or leading any of our activities.
We are working on additional guidelines regarding health and disinfecting measures, all kayak tours have the benefit of taking place outdoors with access to open-air. The outdoor environment can reduce the risk of spreading Coronavirus.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us via Email or Phone (Currently, email is the best option).
The COVID 19 situation is ever-evolving and we will be making changes to adhere to recommendations, and mandates from Government and Health Organizations. We will remain flexible to change all operational protocols as needed.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What will Discovery do for social distancing on kayak tours?
- We have always operated with small groups of no more than 8 guests. We will continue with 8 guests maximum. We have added a private kayak tour option that you can choose during the reservation process.
- Signage will be posted in all offices asking guests to maintain good social distance.
- We currently have online waivers and will be altering the check-in process to reduce guest interactions in the office.
What sanitary and disinfecting measures will Discovery be taking?
- Increased availability of hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer at all entrances to our Friday Harbor office. Guides will carry hand sanitizer during Kayak Tours.
- In addition to regular cleaning practices already in place, we will be disinfecting all hard surfaces routinely in offices. Before and after Kayak Tours all equipment will be cleaned and sanitized. PFDs and Splash Jackets and Pants will be soaked with disinfectant after each use and hanged to dry.
- Camping Kayak Tours will have increased sanitation standards for cooking in the field on top of the strict protocols already in place. All overnight guides carry WA State Food Handler cards.
- Transport vans will be disinfected between all uses and cleaning agents kept in the van.
What screening measures is Discovery taking?
- Staff will be required to stay home if they exhibit symptoms or are known to have had close contact with a person who has COVID within a 14-day period prior to a shift.
- We reserve the right to decline service to any guest exhibiting symptoms or are known to have had close contact with a person who has COVID within a 14-day period prior to the kayak tour.
- If a staff member or guest develops symptoms during a tour, we will isolate and evaluate the situation for evacuation if possible.
- Symptoms include, but are not limited to: fever, cough, and shortness of breath
Will I need to wear a mask?
- Best practices for masks are still evolving. Discovery will follow any regulations put out by the Center for Disease Control, World Health Organization, Department of Health, and Washington State regarding mask use.
- Should masks be required:
- Employees will be provided with a mask that is kept clean
- Guests will provide their own mask for all tours
- Please continue to check our policies on mask use as they are likely to change.
What if I do not know my travel date, but want to support Discovery Sea Kayaks?
Gift cards are available for purchase online and do not expire. Please visit our website for details on purchasing gift cards. We appreciate your support.
What if I am experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, or come into contact with someone who may have COVID-19, before a tour or unable to travel due to restrictions in my state or county?
Should you have to cancel inside your party’s cancelation period for health concerns you will receive a tour voucher that holds its value and can be used in any operating season or refund in accordance with existing cancellation policies.
What information are you basing policies on and where are you finding it?
We use information from the Center for Disease Control, World Health Organization, and Department of Health to give us the most accurate information on Coronavirus and COVID-19. As an industry, the Washington Kayak Association has also been in contact with state representatives and county health officials. We have also partnered with other industry professionals to provide a united front on procedures and work together to find the best path forward.
The following are helpful links on COVID-19 for planning and considering your trip to Washington State
- The World Health Organization (WHO)
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) travel advice
- Updated recommendations for international traffic in relation to the COVID-19 outbreak