KAYAK TOUR OVERVIEW Mobile Devices Book Here The Full Day Kayak Tour is where it al began. Spending the day on the water is one of the best ways to experience kayaking San Juan Island. The Full Day offers the most time in prime whale watching territory. With more time we are able to travel … Continued
Half Day Kayak Tour
KAYAK TOUR OVERVIEW
Half Day Tours will operate into October
The Half Day Kayak Tour has quickly become the most popular San Juan Island Kayak Tour option we offer. The Half Day Tour provides the perfect amount of water time and still have room for other activities the same day. With 3 different departure times (8am, 11:30am and 1:30pm) you can easily find a kayak tour that fits your travel plans.
We operate with the smallest groups sizes on the island. This provides a superior experience compared to large group tours and have less impact on our local beaches.
All departures have an equal chance of encountering killer whales. Whale Watching from kayak can be an exhilarating experience and we strive to share that experience with all of our guests. It should be noted that killer whales are not always in the area and can travel vast distances quickly. They are wild animals that are constantly on the move searching for food.
- $87 per person plus tax.
- Discounts (Only one discount applies to a reservation)
- If you have a reservation with Western Prince Whale Watching save 10% | Promo Code WESTERN10
- If you have a reservation with Zip San Juan save 10% | Promo Code ZIP10
Please present reservation confirmation for Western Prince and Zip San Juan at check-in for discounts.
KAYAK ROUTE AND ITINERARY
Our route travels within the heart of orca whale habitat best known for whale watching on San Juan Island. We paddle in the pas the iconic Lime Kiln Lighthouse, considered the best place in the world to see whales from the shoreline. The best months for orca whale encounters are June, July, August, September through mid-October.
- Check-in: 15 minutes before reserved departure time at our shop, 260 Spring St.
- Shop Departures: 8:00 AM, 11:30 AM and 1:30 PM
- 20-minute shuttle ride to San Juan County Park
- Kayak instruction, Restroom Break, Launch Kayaks
- Arrival Back in Friday Harbor : 12:00 PM, 3:30 PM and 5:30 PM
Please note the itinerary is a rough outline out the days travel. We can encounter delays that will effect our departure time and arrival back at the shop.
Tour Duration: Door to Door 4 Hours
Kayak Mileage: 4 – 6 Miles
Activity Level: Average (No Experience Required)
Age Requirement: Minimum Age 12 Years Old
Weight Limit: 250 Pounds (please call if you have concerns)
San Juan Island is home to a wide variety of amazing wildlife.
- Southern Resident Killer Whales: Salmon eating whales commonly seen June through mid-October.
- Transient Killer Whales: Marine mammal-eating whales that can been seen throughout the year.
- Humpback Whales: Becoming more common to the area as they migrate between winter and summer habitats.
- Minke Whales: A small baleen whale that we frequently see throughout the season.
- Porpoise: Harbor and Dalls porpoise are encounter year round.
- Harbor Seals: The most common marine mammal we have in the area. Seen any time of year around the islands.
- Sea Lions: Stellar Sea Lions are seen most commonly during the early and late kayak season along with a few sightings of California Sea Lions.
- River Otters: More elusive but seen any time of year. Most sightings are early morning or late afternoon.
- Bald Eagles: San Juan host a health population of Bald Eagles with many nesting sites.
Every day is different and we can encounter other species of whales, seals, porpoise and birds not listed above.
Tours are limited to 8 guests, the smallest groups size on the island. This provides unlimited access to the guide for answering questions and taking care of any instructional needs while on the water. Smaller groups allow us to get on the water quicker, spending less time at the beach handing out equipment, as compared to large groups commonly seen on San Juan Island. We also have far less impact on beaches and shoreline habitat we visit. From safety to your overall experience, small groups are the best way to travel.
Professional Sea Kayak Guide instruction and naturalist education. Fiberglass two person kayaks, selected for their comfort and stability. From novice paddlers with no experience to seasoned veteran paddlers, tandem kayaks offer the perfect platform for kayak touring San Juan Island.
All guest are provided with a complementary dry bag for the kayak tour. We also provide Waterproof Jackets and Pants at no extra cost.
Early Season: Spring weather on San Juan is typically cool with day time temperatures ranging from the low 50’s F to the mid 60’s F. Expect partly cloudy skies with light breezes to windy conditions. Chance of precipitation is greater in the Spring season but rain is usually light. Weather conditions can change rapidly and we keep all reserved guests up to date on the latest forecast.
Summer Season: San Juan Island can have some of the most pleasant summer weather. With half the annual rainfall of the Seattle area, San Juan is typically dry all summer. Temperatures range from upper 60’s F to the mid 80’s F. Skies are usually blue and clear, great for evening star gazing. Winds are more predictable during the summer, light most days with calm seas. There are occasional offshore systems that push strong winds trough the islands.
Late Season: Fall can be one of the best times to visit San Juan. The days become cooler, ranging from the low 50’s F to the mid 60’s F. Winds can be light to moderate depending on the current weather systems. Early fall is typically dry with light rain developing around late October. This is one of our favorite times of the year.
PROVIDED BY DISCOVERY SEA KAYAKS
- Sea Kayak Guide and Naturalist
- Tandem Kayaks and Paddles
- Life Vest (PFD) and Spray Skirts
- Dry Bags (Seal Line 10L)
- Waterproof Jacket and Pants
- Water Shoes (Limited sizes available for rent)
- Water Bottle
- Non-Cotton Clothing
- Short and Long Sleeve Top
- Quick Dry Pants
- Hat and Sunglasses
- Beanie (Spring and Fall Season)
- Paddling Gloves
- Camera with fitted waterproof case (available for sale at our shop)
- Seat Cushion
Please Call To Reserve Tucked into the east side of San Juan Island, just outside of Friday Harbor, Griffin Bay is the perfect destination for calm water kayaking. Here, paddlers are exposed to scenic views across San Juan Channel, as well as wildlife viewing opportunities. This is a popular hangout spot for harbor seals, waterfowl, … Continued
KAYAK TOUR OVERVIEW Mobile Devices Book Here Sunset Kayak Tours are a photographers dream and one of the best San Juan Island Kayaking Tours. Departing from the west side of San Juan Island, the best place to see orca whales, and to see the sunset. With views of Vancouver Island and the Olympic Mountains it is truly … Continued
The Bioluminescence Kayak Tours offer guests the opportunity to experience one of natures amazing light shows. The San Juan Islands of Washington State have good tidal exchanges that yield highly nutrient rich bodies of water, creating an environment with a wide diversity of microorganisms. Some of which are bioluminescent, create their own light. Bioluminescence is … Continued
A Multi-Day San Juan Island Kayak Tour is truly the ultimate island experience. These pacific northwest gems are widely known to offer some of the best sea kayaking on the west coast. We offer 2-Day, 3-Day, and 5-Day overnight tours so guests can select the best option for the amount of time they have. Each … Continued
Private Kayak Tours. San Juan Island is one of the best sea kayak touring destinations in the United States. San Juan offers one of the best opportunities to kayak with killer whales. Whale watching on San Juan Island is one of the primary vacation activities. We recognize there are some that would prefer to reserve … Continued
San Juan Island Mothership Kayak Tour Discovery Sea Kayaks is excited to offer this new and unique San Juan Island adventure. The San Juan Islands have always been considered a world class sea kayak destination. Combined with the excitement of sailing and you have everything you could ever want from an adventure vacation to the … Continued