San Juan Island Kayak Tours in Washington state are one of the region’s most popular activities. Our San Juan kayaking trip routes provide excellent whale encounters and wildlife viewing. Select from our Full Day San Juan Island Kayak Tour, Bioluminescence San Juan Islands Kayaking Tour to our 3 Day San Juan Island Camping and Kayaking Tours. San Juan Kayak Tours operate daily, April through October.
The San Juan Islands are a world-renowned sea kayaking and whale watching destination. Visitors from all over the world travel here to enjoy the natural beauty and marine life. The San Juan Islands are just off the mainland of Washington State, USA. Being located near Seattle Washington, San Juan Island is the perfect adventure vacation destination.
Q: What is the best time of year to join a San Juan Island Kayak Tour?
The most popular months are June, July, and August. The shoulder season months (April, May, and September) are also a great time to paddle and miss all the crowds of midsummer. View a selection of our amazing professionally guided San Juan Island kayak tours.
Q: Do I need a reservation?
We recommend that you reserve your San Juan Island kayak tour in advance to secure your space. Though we are usually able to accommodate walk-ins, our trips do fill up, especially in the summer months. Get a head-start on booking a San Juan Island kayak tour.
Q: What is the most popular San Juan Kayak Tour we offer?
The Half Day Kayak Tour is the most popular daily departure kayak tour. The Bioluminescence Kayak Tour is our most popular specialty kayak tour. The 3 Day Kayak Tour is our most popular camping kayak tour option. View our entire selection of professionally guided San Juan Island kayak tours.
Q: Where do your kayak tours go?
The Half Day, Full Day, and Sunset Kayak Tour routes travel along the west side of San Juan Island. The Friday Harbor Half Day Kayak Tour departs from the east side of San Juan Island from the Port of Friday Harbor.
Q: Do you offer any family friendly Kayak Tours?
The Friday Harbor Half Day Kayak Tour is our most family-friendly kayak tour with the only requirement being all paddlers must be a minimum weight of 60 pounds. All of our kayak tours that depart from the west side of San Juan Island and the Bioluminescence Kayak Tour have a minimum age of 12 years old and multi-day kayak tours have a minimum age of 16.
Q: Price Comparing Kayak Tour Companies?
With many options to choose from selecting your San Juan Island Kayak Tour Outfitter can be a bit difficult. Most of us operate tours along the same routes and launch from the same beaches, adding to the confusion.
So what’s the deal with Discovery?
Price: This is an important topic when choosing your kayak tour operator. Discovery is typically not the cheapest in town but there are really good reasons we have a slightly higher price.
- Small Groups: We believe small groups offer the best experience. Most of the companies charging low rates make up the difference in cost by running a large number of guests with minimal staff. This is not our idea of a quality experience. We hold a high standard in providing everyone a top-notch kayak adventure.
- No Added Fees: Some companies have a confusing pricing matrix that needs investigating the fine print. In the fine print, you will find added fees for certain days of the week, added launch fee of up to $10 per person, and sadly some add a transportation fee. Many time when all the fees are calculated the cost of the tour is well above the cost of our Kayak Tours. Our kayak Tours are priced so you see the actual price of the tours minus Wa State Tax which you will see calculated in your shopping cart.
- Open Transparency: If you call the office and ask about our kayak tour or status of the whales you will always get an honest answer. Even if those answers are not what you might want to hear about the location of the killer whales. It is easy for companies to overmarket the potential for whale encounters from kayaks. But the reality is if the whales are in the area all companies will see the whales. Ridiculous claims of seeing whales more than another company should be a RED FLAG.
- Quality Equipment: We strive to have the best kayak equipment available. We use fiberglass kayaks for all of our kayak tours and quality paddles made right here in Wa State. Not all days are sunshine on San Juan Island so we make sure that every guest is provided a waterproof jacket and pants for all of our kayak tours. All of our single day kayaking adventures include dry bags, all needed paddle equipment, and waterproof outerwear. All of our multi-day kayak adventures included everything you need. From meals, kayaking equipment, camping equipment, down to the pillow you will sleep on at night.
- Training: When it comes to skills and training it is hard to find an outfitter more dedicated to the art of sea kayaking and leadership. We train exhaustively every year. Our in-house training program is no cake walk. Long days of training on the sea to hone skills needed to be a professional sea kayak guide. Evenings are spent in a classroom setting learning all the details of the islands wildlife, history, and geology. Our training is fully immersed in what it really takes to become a leader on and off the water.
We are one of the few companies that have a brick and mortar location in downtown Friday Harbor. This is great for you as there is a physical place to check-in and ask questions about the kayak tours. Many companies just have an area along the side of the road downtown they will pick you up. This always sounds good, but we typically end up assisting those looking where to meet other companies meeting locations and answering questions they have.
We hope this helps clear some of the confusion selecting a kayak outfitter for your kayak adventure on San Juan Island. We are happy to answer any additional questions.